We provide excellence in patient-centred health care for neurological and mental health disorders. Our reach extends to communities in the North East and beyond, underpinned by internationally relevant research.
This theme functions in units, which allows input from diverse sources in key areas. It also integrates cross-cutting themes with broad remit.
The neurosciences directorate has an international reputation for delivery of excellent patient care. Neuroscience research in Newcastle is top 10 ranked in the recent HEFCE REF Exercise.
- Professor David Burn – Chair
- Professor Eilish Gilvarry
- Mr John Crossman
- Dr Richard McQuade
- Dr Mark Cunningham
- Dr Grainne Gorman
- Professor Jenny Read
- Dr Roger Whittaker
- Ms Hannah Powell
- Dr Paul Goldsmith
- Dr Martin Duddy
- Dr Hamish Mc-Allister-Williams
- To translate high quality research in neuroscience into patient benefit for the population of the North East and beyond.
- To create synergies between researchers across institutes to develop novel neuroscience projects with identifiable translational benefits
- To develop and maintain innovative, integrated teaching and training opportunities. This includes the capacity to build a high quality workforce in neuroscience and mental health.
- To involve more patients in clinical research and in promoting the excellence of our patient-centred research to the wider public.
- To involve patients with neurological and mental health disorders in setting the research agenda.
< back to research